Thursday, 3 February 2011

Chicken based Call Duck

Last Summer we hatched 3 Call Duck eggs with the assistance of a broody hen. Two of the ducklings were killed by rats but the third has grown into a fine figure of a Call Duck Drake.



The problem is that he has been raised by Hens and now lives happily (as far as I can tell) with the nine hens and three cocks.

The other day I caught him and took him to the ponds where I set him free to have a good swim and wash.
After a few tentative moments he got the idea and it was a delight to see him splashing, washing and diving. In no time he was swimming right across the pond under water. He even started to practice the male call duck mating dance which he accompanied by the correct whistling calls. I left him to play. Eventually I rounded him up after many hours and returned him to the Chicken house.

The next day I let the whole flock out for exercise and play in the garden. I expected the drake to set off for the ponds but no, he stayed with the hens on the grass. later I noticed him going through the whole washing, diving and mating dance routine..... but not in water..... he was still in the middle of the lawn surrounded by hens.

What is worse ...they were completely ignoring him.

I think I need a Duck therapist. Know one?

No comments:

Post a Comment